Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thunderbird Over the Columbia



"Thunderbird Over the Columbia." Ink on paper superimposed over photograph, digitally enhanced, 11.5" x 11".

This is the Thunderbird, mythical creature associated with indigenous peoples of the Columbia River plateau. I am emulating their petroglyphs. I have camped many times along the cliffs near submerged Celilo falls, their forgotten Manhattan.

When I was 14, Mom moved us to Hayden Island in the middle of the Columbia River. Lewis and Clark called this Island “Image Canoe”. On the island was a large late 1960's resort hotel called "The Thunderbird". Along the roofline were backlit bands of magenta and blue squares – tacky but beautiful at night. Soon this hotel will meet a wrecking ball.

I am commemorating both of these Columbia River cultures with this picture. I savor relics.

No comments:

Post a Comment