Friday, April 16, 2010

Change is a Pendulum Which Undoes Itself


Pencil and ink on paper, 9.5" x 7.5".

Sometimes I am afraid to draw.

I draw anyway. My reluctance creates wobbly distortion.

I began this drawing with no plan. A round head and small body. I thought of President Obama, and threw his face in there, surrounded by a broken halo. His body became a reaching hand with crippled feet. The halo became a clock. This president was inaugurated with such high hopes. Time has distorted him, as it distorts us all. The change he promised has changed.

This clock has a pendulum, swinging then negating that swing. This impermanence is the action of our pumping heart, pushing blood out and drawing it back again, the nature of life itself. Creation and destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment